Friday, June 04, 2010


Just thinking about videos again, there is so much pleasure to be gleaned from watching something so old, the accrued memories of something like this brings much to my thought.

I remember watching this one movie, "the Highlander", very late one night, when I was staying over at my cousins' place; i walked into my (they were teens, then) cousins watching it, and i was just very young kid then. I remember them telling me to go to bed because i was not allowed to watch any adult movies, and not to bother them, but i promised to be very quiet and so i snuggle din my blanket and sat and watched through the whole movie.

I was blasted away. Utterly magnificent. The music, the cinematography, the jokes at the first part i didn't get, and I petered my cousins to tell me what they were speaking. the words: "f--k", "fag", "c-cksucker", "bl-w-jobs", and all manner of foulness, "adult-content" (who can forget "candy" in Kurgen's motel room) and the violence, the desecration at the church "better to burn-out than to fade away", and everything just sorta compounded at that moment of "wow, so this is what crazy stuff adults DO in New York".

It was like some sort of strange initiation, these adults don't hide what they say in front of me, everything was so voyeuristic for me. The violence, the sword-fights, the magic. Next to Darth Vader, the Kurgen actually scared the shite outta me then. It was awesome!

The music too was amazing, because I had never heard someone-- a guy -- sing at that kind of level, and of course swiftly after that, I got my hands on bohemian rhapsody-- I admit i didn't get it. the lyrics was actually disturbing to me, it wasn't until years later of listening to other stuff, that I made the Italian Opera connection with a whole bunch of other genres that they were playing at, and it was like this musical Chimera, that is so ridiculous that it was awesome.

but back to the movie:

It is absolutely amazing, I still get chills watching it today.
Something about the innate paradigm, this alternate world, where it is so cleverly made, and I love the fact that the mystery of these "Immortals" are not revealed, making everything more inexplicable, and the lives they lead more ... poignant and also rich.

they cannot have progeny,
they can die, but not in old age or in peace.
they can die anytime, despite their immortality, so everyday of theirs is as fragile as ours, but yet, they have the privilege of living vast lifespans.

i never really got Ramirez's last lesson, when he told Macleod to listen to the deer's heart; the best i can figure it out is the fact that he taught Macleod that all life is intrinsically bound together, and they can feel it-- of course this is also the bond between the Immortal, or the bond turned into a "curse" because they can feel each other, and that usually leads to death, well, most of the time.

hmmm... i wonder if there is something there that reveals the paradox about life, and existence, and the potential of us human beings all tied up in an allegoric metaphor that is "highlander" movie.

The last final scene, when Macleod beheaded the Kurgen and the energy vortex whipped out, it looked so demonic; my cousins loved it of course, they were into the heavy metal stuff, but i remembered seeing all these heads stuck in the torso of this demon, and I wondered if they were the heads of all the Immortals that were killed --- and it gripped with a cold bit of horror about what it means... that they were never free? their powers are tied to their heads. And if there is some sort of bizarre reference again to the nature of violence and killing.. of course it was years later when i thought about it; at that time, I was thinking about devil-worship, demons, curses and all that, and a militant christian kid at school said the movie was satanic and it was evil, and i should not be watching that.

needless to say, i told him, with my new found vocabulary form the movie, to go "f-ck himself".
that form of luciferian rebellion also got me 1 weeks detention, and a call to my mom, to which my cousins were embroiled.. and all the nicieties that ensued.

so... thanks to Youtube, I lived my kiddie days again, and i love the exuberant of it :) and I think Mr. Mercury is by far the best male vocalist around still... so, here's to you Freddie!

You played a part in my formative years !!!

You are remembered and you are loved!!!

link to video: is here

Actually I must say, this is a re-spliced video, which I have borrowed from the original video-jockey. I do not claim credit for the work and would laud the artist for doing a splendiferous job of it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home